Subject: Re: Performa 6200 - minor success
To: Roger Brown <rogerhb@xtra.co.nz>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@gatwood.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/13/2000 23:03:01
On Sat, 9 Dec 2000, Roger Brown wrote:

> I have managed to 'install' but not run 'MkLinux' on a Performa 6200/75/CD
> with 330 Meg SCSI and 24Meg RAM. The installation was on the external SCSI.
> The drive was partitioned with a patched version of HD Setup 7.5.3.
>
> I have the DR3 CD Image on the internal CD drive which it happily
> recognises.
>
> I am using the Mach_Kernel.PERFORMA3.gz file, (ungzipped and renamed to Mach
> Kernel).
>
> If I do a default install it gets to the 'root' prompt but refused access
> with a messages saying 'pam, illegal module type' flashing up for less than
> a second before a clear screen and relogin. Yes, I did enter the same
> password as asked for at installation.
>
> If I try a minimal install the 'init' process appears to try all the run
> levels but a process is spawning too fast with the message 'can't open UTMP:
> no such file or directory'.
>
> Am I supposed to be using a more recent CD image? (as I don't know where to
> find this mystic pre-R1 that people talk about)

I strongly suggest installing on IDE.  But since you get as far as you did
(most people with SCSI issues get a hang when it mounts the filesystem),
my guess is that your problem was actually running out of space in one of
your partitions.

David

                    Check out my weekly web comic:
                     http://www.techmagazine.org