Subject: Re: Does PPP work on MacPPC?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc@icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/13/2000 00:45:17
Answer: yes - except...

...there is no way I can find to get local serial
ports that are usable.

With the exception of the apparent bug in pppd (send-pr on the way).

My status:

	serial ports still do not seem to work in NetBSD 1.5 MacPPC.
	(except for tty00 @9600 for console)

	Cyclades 8Y serial card seems to work OK briefly, but dies
	after a short while, requiring reboot to un-lock the serial
	port(s). (investigating)

	I did something stupid in naming my machine that caused
	pppd to be unable to find its own IP address.  (Oops...)

	pppd likes packet forwarding ON.  Default
	has apparently been changed in 1.4 and 1.5 (1.3 - wasn't necessary)
	+
	+	sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1
	+
	works wonders if you want ppp to forward packets. ;->

	pppd apparently has a bug that makes setup difficult, because
	the "ip-addr:ip-addr" directive is ignored. (send-pr has been sent)

	One "working" pppd configuration, where the pppd is running
	on my NetBSD 1.5 box, and the serial port(s) are on
	nearby 68K macs (NetBSD 1.3.3) suffers from poor performance.
	(latency is terrible)

so...

Thanks to those who responded.

If/when I get serial ports working, I'll write again.

-dgl-