Subject: Re: partition questions
To: Christian Foerster <chris@cyte.de>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/11/2000 17:46:09
Christian Foerster wrote:

>>>But keep in mind, that Drive Setup initializes your whole disk. So
>>>back up all your data!
>>
>>Hmm...that could be annoying. I purposefully left several GB
>>  unformatted, assuming that I would be able to go back later
>>  and add more partitions without disturbing the current ones.
>
>At the moment, It=B4s the only way which works. Because there is no
>other partioning tool for Mac OS out there than Apples Disk Drive
>which is able to create Apple_UNIX_SVR partions with the right 4.4BSD
>flags in it.
>
>Bob Nestor wanted to add these functionality to pdisk, which you
>could use for partioning your hd without intializing the whole disk.
>But I don=B4t whether he has been succesful with it or not?

Actually I dropped the effort because I was reminded that Apple's Disk
Drive Setup could be used.  It's what I used and I'd forgotten that it
does indeed insist on setting up the entire disk.  Someone also pointed
out that modification to pdisk weren't necessary because the author was
properly setting the BSD flags in his newest version.  I downloaded the
sources but don't see where he did this.

So it sounds like I need to go ahead and make the changes to pdisk.  I'll
get back to work on it.

-bob