Subject: Re: G3 Powerbook (Pismo) Keyboard hangs?
To: Lasse Lamminen <lasse.lamminen@sonera.com>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@costello.cnf.CORNELL.EDU>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/08/2000 14:27:33
On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Lasse Lamminen wrote:

> I would really love to have netbsd running, since mac os is pissing me off more
> and more.
> My Powerbook G3 is 1 month old, bronze keyboard, 500 mhz, 384 Mb Ram
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions ? I tried the 'press the shift key first' thing
> already, but everything just seems to hang at the terminal question.

I need to update the site.  The pismo a.k.a. PowerBook (FireWire) a.k.a.
PowerBook 2000 keyboard and the iBook keyboard are *not* supported in any
released or -current version of NetBSD.  Nowhere does it say that these
models are supported in 1.5, because they aren't.

SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.ne.jp> was kind enough to build me a
kernel with hacked keyboard drivers.  The built-in keyboard is kludged, so
you have to wait about 20 seconds for it to be recognized (don't type
before then). Otherwise, everything seems to work fine.

Unfortunately, that kernel doesn't appear to be on his site anymore.

The consensus is that this hack is not committable, i.e. they won't put it
into NetBSD until it's a good driver.

So, please be patient until he commits a good driver, or offer to help
him.

  -- MW