Subject: Re: Problems with real-base != -1
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/09/2000 12:31:02
	I just brought OS X beta up on my machine a few days ago. I
noticed that a.) you CANNOT boot from a slave IDE device, it just will not
work on this machine. b.) You cannot boot properly unless you set the
boot-device environment and reset-all, otherwise it doesn't work properly.
I ended up installing onto a second 4GB HD as Slave, moving the HD back to
Master and then booting that. So I can boot between MacOS and OS X now,
possibly BSD too if I hook up an external SCSI drive.

On Sat, 4 Nov 2000, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> > I'm having a lot of problems booting with real-base != -1. This is on a
> > beige G3 with I think a rev A rom (will check).
> >
> > Actually, this machine is rather freaky. I'm net booting it.
> >
> > I have an ofwboot.xcf which was compiled to load at 0x600000. If I set
> > load-base to 600000, I can't net boot - I get a CLAIM-FAILED in the data
> > segment. BUT if I set load-base to 6c000000 , it works.

	Have yet to try.

> > Then, if I set real-base to say f00000 or f0000000 , then I can boot a
> > large kernel. BUT the next time I go into OF (say the next boot), OF
> > wedges hard. I get a chime, but nothing shows up on any
> > screen. Cmd-Optioon-P-R doesn't reset the prom either. I have to reverse
> > the PRAM battery for a while (or let it sit w/o battery even longer) to
> > get the machine back.

	Yes, I got this once when Iset the real-base to the wrong value by
accident. Did you try using the CUDA reset switch next to the third PCI
slot?

> this one sems to have gone away. I was using the MacOS X install CD, and
> interrupting boot after it had rebooted but before it'd done
> anything. Letting it finish fixed things.

	Did you set the boot-device to what you were trying to boot with
and use "boot" ?