Subject: Re: ofwboot man page 2nd draft
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/06/2000 16:10:48
On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Henry B. Hotz wrote:

> Now as to that "partition zero" stuff:  as I understand it it's a
> misnomer because there is really a "fake" Apple Partition Map there
> with enough in it that OF can find the boot blocks with bootxx in
> them.  That's why you can't use "partition zero" with real Apple
> Partition Maps on the newer machines.  I think the zero means the
> boot blocks or the first bootable partition, and the meaning depends
> on the OF version number.  None of this is part of ofwboot.

	How is the *BSD and MacOS drive sharing && dual booting work coming
along? Any status updates from our Port-master?

> >AFAIK:  Booting MacOS on OF 3 machines changes nothing.  On OF 2 machines
> >only affects real-base.  On OF 1 machines resets all to default values.
> >
> >Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> All the machines I can play with freely are OF 1.0.5.  Chris, can you
> confirm that it's *only* the real-base that gets changed?

	The only environment it changed was real-base when booting w/2.0f1
to MacOS. It maintained across reboots into OFW. I can't confirm any
better than that unless the end result would be me taking a 15lb sledge
hammer to my G3. One of these days in the very distant future I'll try
learning PPC assembly and Forth...............and MIPS, 68k, 88k asym,
etc.

	Chris