Subject: Re: ofwboot man page 2nd draft
To: Chris <talon16m@hotmail.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/04/2000 11:57:45
On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Chris wrote:

>     You might also want to add the syntax for netbooting just for kicks.
>
> boot enet:tftp.boot.server.ip#,[XCOFF/ELF boot file] -[a|s|d] i.e.
> boot enet:192.168.0.3,ofwboot.xcf -a
>
>     This would be using a standard bootp/tftp server with (preferably
> static) arp entry for the client machine. I haven't personally tested
> bootp/DHCP && tftp server, but it most likely works. Thus far I have gotten

I use DHCP & tftp & netboot my Beige G3. Here's the info I use:

subnet 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.0.0 {
        option routers 10.0.0.1;
        option domain-name-servers 10.0.0.1;
	option domain-name "my.specia.domain";
}
host tanis {
        fixed-address 10.0.0.2;
        hardware ethernet 00:05:02:4e:49:3d;
        filename "ofwboot.xcf";
        next-server 10.0.0.1;
        server-name "10.0.0.1";
        option root-path "/y5/mount";
        option host-name "tanis";
}

Note: this is the setup which needs load-base to NOT be the correct value.

> tftp service failing (looping) service terminated errors and arp failed
> errors on my 1.4.2 i386 bootp/tftp server. Sometimes I get massive numbers
> of tftp errors, and it'll take 5 minutes to load despite a static arp entry
> even for a 56k ofwboot.xcf file, sometimes It will load an entire 3MB ELF
> kernel (even though it can't boot it [Loading ELFdefault catch]) without a
> single tftp error. And yet other times, it seems when it can't communicate
> with the bootp server properly the first try, it will DoS the network
> freezing every machine connected to it until you reboot the Mac.

Weird. Have you tried tcpdump to see what's up?

Also, don't forget you need the

>     And I personally have seen ofwboot.xcf not behave quite as it should.
> When specifying boot fd:0 -a to load ofwboot.xcf from the 1.4.2 boot floppy.
> The boot prompt was appending /netbsd to anything I typed. In this case
> because "netbsd" (though NOT "/netbsd" which is weird) was in the boot-file
> environment. Perhaps a check is needed when -a is specified to not append
> the boot-file environment. Can anyone else verify this behavior?

ofwboot is in desperate need of feature improvement. It has done well for
booting NetBSD-only disks, but now we want more. :-)

Take care,

Bill