Subject: Random comments on installation and booting
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/04/2000 03:53:38
Hi again!

So I finally managed to boot NetBSD from the hard disc -- thanks for
all the help!

So that others perhaps can gain some insight from my torments, I'll
collect some random thoughts here.

This is on a G3/Lombard, OF3, with the recent 1.5H-snapshot.

I made two partitions with Drive Setup (or what's it called), booting
from a CD; one MacOS HFS+, and an AUX/Root one. Currently I'm booting
with ofwboot.elf on a MacOS HFS+ partition (OF3) and the kernel on the
AUX/Root partition. For this to work, I have to enter (at the OF
prompt):
	boot hd:,ofwboot.elf hd:10
I found the '10' by trial and error:
	boot hd:0,ofwboot.elf
	boot hd:1,ofwboot.elf
and so on, until one of them worked (9), and I guessed that 10 would
be my AUX/Root partition.

With such a setup: Don't create disklabels! Just do a newfs, and
ignore the warning about disklabel.

During booting, I get (in a smaller font size, my screen is 1024x768):
	phandle=ff8577b30 _
I was told that this is an inconsequential warning.

I also get the string 'metho' (same small font) in the lower left
corner of the screen, outside of the 80x34 screen, so I can't delete
it. :-(

In the booting process, around the line
abtn0 at adb0 addr 7: brightness/volume control
the screen seems to get dimmed, just like in MacOS powersaving mode.

Should I send-pr any of the last three items?

Bye,
 Thomas

--
Thomas Klausner - wiz@danbala.tuwien.ac.at
I think...I think it's in my basement. Let me go upstairs and check.