Subject: Problems netbooting a Powerbook G3/Lombard
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/25/2000 18:28:52
Hi!

Since I'm the proud owner of a Powerbook G3 now, I thought I'd put
NetBSD on it, not destroying my MacOS installation for now.

I'm using the latest snapshot, 20001020; I used ofwboot.elf as
tftpbooted file, and put the netbsd kernel from kern.tgz in the NFS'
root.

Booting seems to work, but the display goes black one line after the
wsmouse line. This goes too fast for me to really read the last
visible line, I think it starts with an 'a'. It seems to get even
a bit further -- even the motd file gets changed; but the pwd_mkdb
line that I put in rc.local to regenerate the passwd file doesn't get
executed, and neither the telnet nor ssh daemons get started (at
least, telnet and ssh to the box don't work. I enabled telnet in
inetd.conf, and added a sshd=YES line to etc/rc.conf).

Pinging the box works, though; and there is some regular NFS activity
from the machine (some get_attr, set_attr, lookup stuff; sorry, I
don't speak NFS very well).

I did another try with the netbsd.ram.gz as netbsd (unzipped):
This way, the display didn't go black, but the keyboard doesn't
work. There's a wsdisplay line on the screen:
	wsdisplay at ofb0: console (std, vt100 emulation)
but then I hang at the terminal type prompt, because I can't even
press enter :(
I can't find any line that the keyboard is recognized, and the adb
line looks like this:
	adb0 at obio0 offset 0x16000 irq 18: 0 targets
This way, the machine doesn't even get pingable.

I also tried using the kernel from the 1.5ALPHA2 snapshot from
20000830, but this also makes the display go black (I didn't change to
the 1.5ALPHA2 userland, since it seemed rather pointless).

The only files that get a new timestamp on a reboot are etc/motd and
var/log/wtmp.

I'd be very happy on any clues how to get any further with this.
Any output I can manage to create available on request.

Below some problems I had with some of the netbooting docs, perhaps
they help someone else:

The netbooting docs walked me a great part of the way through it. Some
minor problems:
o there's no mention of how to get your MAC address with OpenFirmware.
  At least on a Lombard (OF3), it worked with:
	dev / ls
  for finding out which path to use for the next command:
	dev /pci/mac-io/ethernet .properties
  where I found a local-mac-address key.
o The netbooting FAQ, in special
	http://www.at.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/nfs.html
  mention /sbin/mountd and /sbin/nfsd -- those files are actually in
  /usr/sbin at least on NetBSD-current.
o Also the example exports file on the same page doesn't work (at
  least on 1.5H/i386). It seems that there have to be some options
  between the path to export, and the host to export to, else mountd
  will complain (and not start).

Bye,
 Thomas

--
Thomas Klausner - wiz@danbala.tuwien.ac.at
I think...I think it's in my basement. Let me go upstairs and check.