Subject: Re: Mac 9150 Server Support ?
To: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@deepspace.mklinux.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/10/2000 14:57:39
On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Chris Tribo wrote:

> > Well, I'd call the MkLinux Booter non-viable.  The only one really viable
> > is BootX, the open-source app that works for MkLinux, but was written for
> > LinuxPPC originally.
>
> 	It doesn't seem that way from an idiots perspective (that would be me).
> BootX=written for PCI PowerMacs only, requires OpenFirmware

Actually, I use BootX on a 6100 to boot MkLinux on occasion.  It didn't
require mich modification to make it work for all systems.  It's also the
preferred method I used for getting the 52/53/62/63xx family running.

> If by chance you mean to use BootX for PCI&OFW PPC's, that would be a
> different
> story. Then I would agree, BootX is the most viable.

BootX = open source, MkLinux Booter = closed source and undocumented.  :-)

Later,
David

                    Check out my weekly web comic:
                     http://www.techmagazine.org