Subject: Re: How to install netbsd on my PowerBook w/o floppy and internal
To: Acid Maker <acid@umedia.system.net.pl>
From: Eric Damien Berna <eric@thiel.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/02/2000 17:39:43
>I have PowerBook G3/266 (WallStreet or PDQ ?).
>I would like to install NetBsd on second partition (about 1MB) but I don't
>have floppy drive and don't have internal CD. However I have internal ZIP
>drive and SCSI cabble and external CD recorder Yamaha 4/4/16.
>
>I don't know how to install NetBSD. (and whitch version of NetBSD ? 1.4.2
>  or newer ?)
>
>Is it possible to install it from ZIP drive ? or external SCSI CD-RW ?
>
>		Jakub Kruszona-Zawadzki
>		acid@umedia.system.net.pl

One problem you'll have, I think, is that you can't share a drive
under NetBSD/macppc with Mac OS, I don't think you can put NetBSD on
the second partition. But since NetBSD doesn't support power
management software, when you run out of battery it will shut down,
hard.  That makes using it as a portable rather difficult.  If you
are tethered anyway, you might as well use an external drive for the
NetBSD partitions.

The easiest way to get setup would be to get an external SCSI drive
and borrow the use of another Power Mac, one with a floppy drive.
Setup the drive on the other machine, transfer the drive, and boot
off the SCSI drive.

Failing that, theoretically, you should be able to make a bootable CD
with the CD writer, then boot off the CD.  The problem is getting a
bootable NetBSD/macppc CD image.  You can find plenty of i386 port
bootable CDs offered by various companies, and even iso disk images
available for download, but no macppc port bootable CDs.  Maybe
somebody can make an image and make it available, or tell me how and
I'll try to make it available.

I think you'd want a current version of NetBSD.  -current supports
more of your PowerBook's hardware.

--

Eric Damien Berna
Thiel Design