Subject: Re: Choosing a Unix
To: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@deepspace.mklinux.org>
From: Jaron Omega <inphrared@ephemeron.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/06/2000 13:23:20
On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, David A. Gatwood wrote:

>On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, David A. Gatwood wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Jaron Omega wrote:
>>
>> > None of the Free unix/unix-like OS's for the Mac can display graphics
>> > very well, or better X11 performance is not too impressive.  This being
>> > said in reference to my own experiance with dealing with X on a Performa
>> > 6360 with 32M RAM and on a 233Mhz Beige G3 with 320M RAM.  Neither was
>> > really able to run X well, not even across a network.  Linux/NetBSD
>> > was the free unix(like) OS's I have run on them.
>>
>> The 6360 is very different from the original poster's G3, though.  The
>> beige G3 has an ATI chipset, for which video acceleration support has been
>> available for both MkLinux and LinuxPPC for at least a year, probably two.
>
>Never mind, I missed that you also tried on a G3.  I'm very surprised that
>X didn't work well for you.  It seems quite responsive on every one I've
>tried.  It's possible you were using an unaccelerated Xpmac/XFree server.

This is very possible, as at least the LinuxPPC version was an ftp install
of the then current release.  It ofcourse being RedHat based, launched into
GNOME/Enlightenment, inwhich we all know, are resource monsters.  Seemed
far too slugish for my tastes.  I blamed the ATI card within, I think its
8Mb.  But MacOS X Server's GUI responsivness in relation blew me away
completely.  So MacOS X Server is doing something to push that 8Mb ATI vid
card to full potential.

Maybe after I transfer the data off the shared partitions of my G3 running
NetBSD+nfs w/no monitor. I'll slap on LinuxPPC again and give X another shot
with more in mind to tweak the default installation to optimal performance.

One thing that is defanitely and atractive measure is running framebuffering
at a high res, while running BitchX from the console.  Sigh, but theres
work to do.. ;)  I have NO discipline when it comes to my home box's, I just
want to have fun.

Jaron Omega