Subject: pmap_zero_page, pa >= 256MB
To: 'port-macppc@netbsd.org' <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Cliff Neighbors <cliff@allegronetworks.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/30/2000 17:08:27
as far as I can tell, pmap_zero_page()\arch/powerpc/powerpc/pmap.c
seems to assume that pa == va when going to zero out the page.
does the macppc kernel have 1:1 addressability for all memory?
or is it limited to what can be mapped into the kernel segment?

if the latter is true (as it seems), when pa >= 256MB you exceed the
reach of the kernel segment and take a kernel pagefault.
this is happening on my 2GB phys memory G4, and is easily provoked.

pmap_copy_page() seems to have the same problem.

other ports (e.g. i386) use reserved PTE's for creating a temporary mapping
to copy or zero pages.  should we be doing something similar in the powerpc,

macppc world(s)?

	-cliff-

---
cliff neighbors