Subject: Re: performa 5400/160 ?
To: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/29/2000 10:56:25
On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Chris Tribo wrote:

> > Ha yes, another fun thing with this machine, its floppy drive looks dead.
> > I guess I would just burn a CD - or maybe it can netboot ?
>
> 	You might or might not be able to netboot this machine. I have not
> as yet been able to netboot my Beige OFW 2.0f1 G3 because of massive tftp
> timeouts being reported by the G3. (after 40 minutes it finally loaded the
> 50k ofwboot.xcf, but then the machine froze after loading bss... Wouldn't
> hurt to try it though.

I'm netbooting my Beige G3, with the same rev of OF. Here's what I had to
do to make it netboot:

1) I see those tftp timeouts too. They come from the firmware not
supporting arp! What I have to do is "arp -s tanis 00:11:22:33:44:55" on
my tftp/dhcp server. Well, that's not the real MAC address. Also, since I
usually forget this when I reboot that box, I have to arp -d tanis; arp -s
tanis ...

2) I ran into problems with ofwboot.xcf at its normal load address of
6d0000. So I compiled one which loaded at 600000, and it's fine.

3) I ran into the kernel-too-big problem. So I made an ultra-stripped
kernel. Adjusting the load location sounds better. :-)

Take care,

Bill