Subject: Re: performa 5400/160 ?
To: Chris Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
From: Ben Allums <allums@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/29/2000 10:20:09
On 8/29/2000 at 9:35 AM, t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu (Chris Tribo) wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Aug 28, 2000 at 03:52:58PM -0500, Ben Allums wrote:
> > >
> > > BTW: You'll want to download a copy of "bootvars" to dink with
> > >      OpenFirmware settings.  System Disk won't work on 5400's.
> > >      Use "suntar 2.2.2" or later to create the install floppy.
>
> Hmm there was some debate about this a while back. IMHO, I think
> System Disk does *work*, it's complaining about "not supporting the
> machine" or some such because it will not be supported for MacOS X.
> The application itself should still be able to apply the OFW patches
> and let you manipulate settings.

No good.

System Disk failed to modify my OpenFirmware settings.  I couldn't reset
anything on my 5400/120 (such as changing the screen output from "ttya"
to "screen") unless I used BootVars.

Also, using someone else's recommendation, I opened up System Disk via
ResEdit and confirmed that it contains 0 patches for the 5400
motherboard (Catalyst I think?  Can't remember, I checked when I did it
before).

Perhaps there's an older version of System Disk without checks to
disable it's operation and/or has patches for older machines.

Ben
allums@earthlink.net