Subject: Re: Succesfull booting under Beige G3, but...
To: charlie allom <charlie@rubberduck.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/07/2000 10:58:33
On Sun, 6 Aug 2000, charlie allom wrote:

> sounds like a sweet machine to play with. i wish that X would support
> more than 8bpp tho =(
>
> other PPC nix's seem to be able to do this (i think?) .. there must
> be a serious reason why we cant?

Because we don't have drivers for the video cards, we just leave the video
how OF left it.

A number of folks have talked about how to do this. Talk to Roland
Dodswell as he has a good idea on how to do this. When done "right," the
dirvers can be shared among all pci netbsd ports. So a driver written for
i386 (Intel PC's) should work for macppc and Alpha and sparc64... :-)

Take care,

Bill