Subject: Re: making bootable disk for NetBSD/macppc
To: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/06/2000 17:07:18
On Sun, Aug 06, 2000 at 03:25:53PM -0400, John Klos wrote:
> Open Firmware will not boot the kernel from a UFS disk.

That should be amended to "some versions of Open Firmware", and the
problem is more accurately that, when using an EIDE drive with those
versions of OF, we can't both boot from and then use a file system on
the same (EIDE) disk. (The issue being that OF leaves it in a state
we're not familiar with, and we don't know how to recover.)

It'd be pretty hard to boot from "a UFS disk" anyway, since we use BSD
FFS (and don't support UFS at all, last I checked; some System
V-derived OSes use it... SunOS for sure).

Despite extraneous firmware bugginess, all five of my OF 1.0.5 and all
eight of OF 2.x machines boot just fine, both from SCSI and IDE hard
drives. (Well, to be fair, there are five 6500s not actually booted
yet, but they're identical to the one that's up.)

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net