Subject: 7500 OF supports 66Hz Monitor
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/31/2000 09:33:33
I have seen statements that the direct Open Firmware video support in
1.0.5 only has a single scan rate/pixel size that they support.  I
have seen the vertical refresh rate quoted as 120 Hz and 60 Hz.

Well I hooked up one of the really old (now anyway) Apple color
monitors which are fixed frequency 35 KHz horizontal by 66 Hz
vertical and it works just fine with OF, NetBSD, and X.  In fact it
looks better than the nearly-as-old Apple 19 inch because it's
crisper and the colors are more saturated.

It makes sense that Apple would support their lowest common
denominator scan rate in OF.  I don't have a PC monitor to try, but
it's possible that there is something in the initialization code that
checks for this monitor so they can do either VGA 640X480@60 or the
Apple 640X480@66.  I can't see 120 Hz as a reasonable default and
suspect that report was mistaken, or else my memory is.

X seems unusably unstable, at least as run from xdm in the 1.5 alpha
snapshot.  It sure is nice being able to get rid of all the stray
uninitialized pixels though.

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.