Subject: Re: Apple sound chip? (was: Re: Recent audio changes)
To: Chris <talon16m@hotmail.com>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@deepspace.mklinux.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/29/2000 19:04:24
On Sat, 29 Jul 2000, Chris wrote:

> > How difficult would it be to get it fully supported? Where could I find
> > some documentation about that chip? I assume that Darwin driver might
> > help, but there are 3 audio drivers in Darwin: drvPPCAwacs,
> > drvPPCBurgundy, and drvPPCDACA. Is there 3 different audio chips?
>
>     I *think* Awacs is the sound chip in everything Beige G3 and earlier
> back to PowerMac 9500 possibly.

There were some slight changes in the G3 machines, IIRC, but not much.
Beyond that, the AWACS goes all the way back to the firts PowerMacs, and
is actually, IIRC, a descendent of the chip used in the AV Quadras, whose
name I forget... something like screamer or something.  Not the DFAC/DFAC
II used in the non-AV Quadras.  That's an entirely different beast.

> As for the other two chips (yes three
> different audio chips), I imagine one is for PowerBook/iBook, and there may
> be a different one for non-OF PPC systems (not likely).

There are small differences, but I believe they are all called AWACS, just
different revisions....

And yes, AWACS behaves a little differently on non-OF machines, mainly due
to having a different DMA comtroller and different register spacing.
Otherwise, I think it's the same rev as the early PCI machines.

> While we're
> on the subject, is someone working on swim3? I thought I heard that a while
> ago.

You want a driver that's should be almost ready-to-drop-in?  MkLinux has a
SWIM III driver, and you're welcome to rip anything you need from it,
including the whole thing if you want.  You'll probably want to prune it a
bit (I already pruned about 90% of the code out, i.e. all the dead code...
what's left is unnecessary abstraction layers), but you're welcome to it.

Later,
David

A brief Haiku:

Microsoft is bad.