Subject: Re: boot floppy for Umax C600
To: Adam Russell <adam@rabbitfarm.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/25/2000 13:39:30
On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Adam Russell wrote:

> The load-base number came from a stern warning in the LinuxPPC R4
> installation guide that the load base on these machines must be set as such
> or else it wouldn't boot. True enough, I recall forgetting to set this and
> Linux wouldn't boot. Seeing as I was not getting anywhere in trying to coerce
> the machine to boot I got a little "superstitious" and tried to rule out the
> old loadbase thing. Hey, after struggling to get the thing to boot a little
> "electronic voodoo" came into play >:)

The reason it is so important is that this number has to match where the
work.

The problem is that NetBSD does not use the same number. We use 6c0000
instead. :-)

The moral of the story is that you should use the number your boot loader
was made for, and be as superstitious as the Linux FAQ says. :-)

Take care,

Bill