Subject: Re: Booting, next round ;-)
To: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/24/2000 16:50:37
On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Martin Husemann wrote:

> Thanks for your hints, I'll have to dig through the OF docs at apple and
> see if I can make any sense of this filename syntax game...

Note the syntax kinda changed between versions.

> Well, I'm netbooting other machines, so I think I'll manage that part. But
> the FAQ is not quite clear: on one place it says "all machines support
> netbooting", in some other place it says "Older machines don't".
> Maybe it's just refering to the "N" key and I misunderstood it. I didn't
> see anything looking like an ethernet card in dev / ls, but it worked from
> MacOS (so I know it's there).

I think the older ones support net booting, but not "N" as a way to
netboot. Also, the older machines need XCOFF versions of ofwboot, which
1.5 is the first release to include.

> I'm confused by the dhcpd vs. bootp thing: IMHO dhcp is just the modern
> version of bootp and dhcpd will answer bootp queries too. I'll do a tcpdump
> and check, maybe the easy way is just a step away...

Check if you have an enet alias. You mentioned that the ethernet card
might not be on the motherboard.

Here's my dhcpd.conf from the i386 which is the dhcpd server:

option arp-cache-timeout 300;
subnet 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.0.0 {
        option routers 10.0.0.1;
        option domain-name-servers 10.0.0.1;
        option domain-name "home-net.something-special.net";
        range dynamic-bootp 10.0.0.100 10.0.0.119;
}
host tanis {
        fixed-address 10.0.0.2;
        hardware ethernet 00:05:02:4e:49:3d;
        filename "ofwboot.xcf";
        next-server 10.0.0.1;
        server-name "10.0.0.1";
        option root-path "/y5/mount";
        option host-name "tanis";
}

I'll probably renumber the internal net soon. :-) Oh, and that is of
course not the real domain-name. Bit I'm running dns on the gateway
machine, and have local DNS for the home machines.

I'm not sure if all of the variables are needed.

Take care,

Bill