Subject: Re(2): Quick! Everyone go look at the Apple web site
To: Matthew Reilly , <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@mipsys.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/24/2000 10:54:52
On Thu, Jul 20, 2000, Matthew Reilly <mjreilly@inch.com> wrote:

>>> As far as Airport goes, isn't it just a matter of bringing the cardbus
>>> driver from i386 into macppc? Anyone know if the WaveLan driver will
run an
>>> Airport card?
>>
>> Dunno.  Should be pretty close, in theory....
>
>It's my understanding that the Airport interface is actually some sort of
>ATA bus, not PC card despite the similar form factor. I could be wrong
>through.

I got the Apple airport card working in linux/ppc recently. You can look
at my page (ppclinux.apple.com/~benh) for the latest hacked driver. I
basically had to hack the wvlan_cs driver of the Lucent card. I removed
the PCMCIA stuff, grabbed the card's address from the OF device tree, and
added a hack to various KeyLargo IOs in order to get the card up (the
hack was done after tracing MacOS code for powering up the card).

It looks like the card is actually a PCMCIA one (slightly hacked). Apple
makes a pseudo-PCMCIA bus by using a 16 bits IO port that goes out of the
KeyLargo ASIC, along with some of KL GPIOs in order to drive some PCMCIA
probe/control signals.

I also had to fix some endian bugs in the original linux driver, I don't
know if the BSD driver has the same bugs, after quickly looking at it, it
appears to be cleaner.

Ben.