Subject: Re: Quick! Everyone go look at the Apple web site
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
From: J.T. Conklin <jtc@redback.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/21/2000 12:51:32
>>>>> "Bill" == Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com> writes:
Bill> Apple has patches to gcc to support Altivec. I'm not sure if they've made
Bill> it out yet or not.

As I understand things, there are copyright assignment issues that
prevent the apple/motorola patches being integrated.

After I bought my G4, I discovered gas didn't have altivec support
(having assembler support is good enough for me).  At the time, I
didn't know that the apple patches existed, so I added support for the
new instructions on my own.  Since there was no copyright assignment
issues for my patches, they have been integrated into the development
binutils sources.

Unfortunately, I haven't had enough time to actually play with the
vector unit since then.

        --jtc

--
J.T. Conklin