Subject: Re: Quick! Everyone go look at the Apple web site
To: Matthew Reilly <mjreilly@inch.com>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@deepspace.mklinux.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/20/2000 18:45:09
On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Matthew Reilly wrote:

> This URL at Apple show the block diagram of the iBook and the Airport card
> is shown on the same ATA bus at the CD-ROM.
>
> http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/hardware/Developer_Notes/Macintosh_CPUs-
> G3/iBook/index.html
>
> The diagram of the PowerBook shows it coming off the Key Largo chip and not
> the Cardbus bridge but doesn't say anything about ATA.

They want you to think it is drastically different because otherwise
they'd have to charge as much for the Airport as the other ? 802.11 ?
boards.  IIRC, it was a licensing term or some such....  At least that's
what I keep hearing from various sources.

David

A brief Haiku:

Microsoft is bad.
It seems secure at first glance.