Subject: Re: Quick! Everyone go look at the Apple web site
From: Chris <talon16m@hotmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/20/2000 01:30:46
on 7/20/00 12:53 AM, John Klos at john@klos.com wrote something like:

>> Apple "Pro" USB keyboard (no more small keys)
>
> With sound volume buttons and an "eject" button, and programmable function
> keys.

    I still want them to bring back a better incarnation of the Apple
Adjustable Keyboard (the anoying tiny buttons on the numeric keypad are very
bothersome), I'd be using the one off my Quadra if I could fit it on this
tiny desk heh.

>> Apple Optical Mouse (I'm almost positive it's a slightly modified
>> Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer)
>
> Not an Intellimouse at all. Totally optical, no buttons. Button function
> is performed by pressing down on the top end of the mouse. Pressure
> sensitivity is adjustable.

    The Intellimouse Explorer is optical, it's the next step down from the
IntelliEye (two less buttons I think) this one has four (plus scroll and
scoll button) and the Eye had 6. Pressure sensitive buttons sounds very
cool, no more clicking noises!

>> Gigabit Ethernet option (been around for a while, but oh well)
>
> Standard in all new G4s... are drivers in NetBSD?

    They probably are, but I would doubt they are working in macppc. I
haven't heard of anyone here having a gigabit card to even try. Heck I think
half of the 100BaseT drivers are still flaky/don't work on macppc.

>> Alright *now* who's ready to finish MI multiprocessor support :-)~~~
>
> The dual G4s run with OS 9, so they shouldn't be significantly different
> than the dual/quad 604e machines.

    True, but uh we can't use the other CPU(s) for anything significant in
NetBSD other than what is cutting edge development in -current. A Quad or 8
CPU 604e would make for some very mean BeOS power though :)

    As far as Airport goes, isn't it just a matter of bringing the cardbus
driver from i386 into macppc? Anyone know if the WaveLan driver will run an
Airport card?

    Just curious,

    Chris