Subject: Re: Quick! Everyone go look at the Apple web site
From: John Klos <john@klos.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/20/2000 00:53:40
>     Dual CPU G4's

Two cpu packages on a daughercard. Not ZIF compatible. Not a dual-core
G4. 133 mhz memory bus. Cardbus for airport. 4x AGP. Gigabit ethernet
standard. Same price for dual processor configs as was the previous single
processor configs ($2500 for dual 450, $3500 for dual 500 mhz (USD)).

>     8" cube PowerMac G4 entire computer!

100 mhz memory bus, full sized DIMMs (three slots), 2x AGP with 16 meg ATI
(same as older G3 / G4), 10/100-base-T, gigabit ethernet or airport is
optional. $1800 USD.

>     Apple "Pro" USB keyboard (no more small keys)

With sound volume buttons and an "eject" button, and programmable function
keys.

>     Apple Optical Mouse (I'm almost positive it's a slightly modified
>             Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer)

Not an Intellimouse at all. Totally optical, no buttons. Button function
is performed by pressing down on the top end of the mouse. Pressure
sensitivity is adjustable.

>     5 New iMac colors/configs
>     Gigabit Ethernet option (been around for a while, but oh well)

Standard in all new G4s... are drivers in NetBSD?

>     Alright *now* who's ready to finish MI multiprocessor support :-)~~~

The dual G4s run with OS 9, so they shouldn't be significantly different
than the dual/quad 604e machines.

Speaking of G4s: how far along is gcc with Altivec in NetBSD? I met an
interesting fellow from Yellow Dog Linux (or whoever their parent company
is) who gave me some interesting info on both Altivec and on booting from
MacOS. I'll be sending him an email pretty soon.

John Klos