Subject: Re: Quick! Everyone go look at the Apple web site
To: Chris <talon16m@hotmail.com>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@deepspace.mklinux.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/19/2000 22:51:51
On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Chris wrote:

> >> Gigabit Ethernet option (been around for a while, but oh well)
> >
> > Standard in all new G4s... are drivers in NetBSD?
>
>     They probably are, but I would doubt they are working in macppc. I
> haven't heard of anyone here having a gigabit card to even try. Heck I think
> half of the 100BaseT drivers are still flaky/don't work on macppc.

Well, if you have ethernet at all on the current AGP G4s, I'm told that
ethernet should also work on the new ones, or nearly so.  My sources say
it's the same chip, just with different support hardware to enable the
gigabit part of the chip.  Note that I have no way to verify the accuracy
of that info.

>     True, but uh we can't use the other CPU(s) for anything significant in
> NetBSD other than what is cutting edge development in -current. A Quad or 8
> CPU 604e would make for some very mean BeOS power though :)

Heh.  A quad-G4 would be pretty sweet.  :-)

>     As far as Airport goes, isn't it just a matter of bringing the cardbus
> driver from i386 into macppc? Anyone know if the WaveLan driver will run an
> Airport card?

Dunno.  Should be pretty close, in theory....

David

A brief Haiku:

Microsoft is bad.
It seems secure at first glance.