Subject: Re: Umax C600
To: Adam Russell , <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Reilly <mjreilly@inch.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/18/2000 21:46:47
on 7/18/00 3:35 PM, Adam Russell at adam@rabbitfarm.com wrote:

> I am interested in getting NetBsd on my Umax C600. I see that this can be
> done, however, I'd like to ask a couple questions first before I jump into
> the install.
> From the notes I have read it would appear that it is not possible to boot
> from the IDE drive, is this still the case? Following from that is it
> possible to boot from a SCSI drive(provided, I see, that the cdrom drive is
> disconnected)? Has the cd-rom problem been fixed? Finally, does X work on
> these machines?
> Many thanks,
> Adam Russell

I've booted recent snapshots from both the IDE and SCSI drives on my C500
with the CD-ROM connected. It can be a little tricky with the SCSI drive, I
think I found that System Disk seemed to help but I'm not positive it's not
just voodoo.

The boot device ata/ATA-Disk@0:0 works for IDE and scsi/sd@0:0 for SCSI
disks. I've never put in a boot-file, sometimes it will complain that it
"can't use device path" or something similar but boots anyway.

I've never used X on the box (it's a server) so I don't know about that.

Let me know if you have any troubles.

cheers,

Matthew