Subject: Re: last go before giving up
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/18/2000 14:32:40
On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Henry B. Hotz wrote:

> I'd trust your understanding more than mine.
>
> However I'm sure I've heard that you can now (G4) just put
> ofwboot.elf on a regular HFS partition and boot it where in OF 1.0.5
> that would not work.  So there has been a change of some kind.

I think that would always work (though xcoff, not elf). We just didn't
want to have to use a boot partition we didn't support, and which wouldn't
be root. We wanted the /netbsd once you're up and running (the one in your
root partition) to be the one you used to boot.

> There is an explicit check in ofwboot (or was that bootxx) for the OF
> version and if it's >= 3 then it strips off the partition number from
> the boot device.  If it's less then it explicitly puts a :0 onto it
> IIRC.  At least one of those two anyway.

I'm very unsure about that code. I don't think we really handle partitions
at all well in ofwboot.

Take care,

Bill