Subject: Re: last go before giving up
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/18/2000 14:21:10
At 1:49 PM -0700 7/18/00, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>On Sun, 16 Jul 2000, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
>
> > At 12:21 AM -0400 7/17/00, charlie allom wrote:
> >
> > >i read somewhere that for OF 2.0.1 i should be using 'alias:partition' and
> > >skip the file name (ofwboot.xcf)
> >
> > This is true if you have used the installboot program to wipe out the
> > Apple partition map on the drive and install the bootxx program.
> > This process doesn't work on new Mac's where a partition of 0 means
> > the first understandable filesystem partition.  On older Mac's (like
> > the 3400 I presume) partition 0 means load the boot blocks.
>
>That's not what I understood. AFAIK the meaning of partition 0 hasn't
>changed - the system will still boot off of a bootable (driver) partition.
>The problem as I understood it was that the definition of a bootable
>driver partition changed, and that our bootable driver partition doesn't
>fit the new paradime,

I'd trust your understanding more than mine.

However I'm sure I've heard that you can now (G4) just put
ofwboot.elf on a regular HFS partition and boot it where in OF 1.0.5
that would not work.  So there has been a change of some kind.

There is an explicit check in ofwboot (or was that bootxx) for the OF
version and if it's >= 3 then it strips off the partition number from
the boot device.  If it's less then it explicitly puts a :0 onto it
IIRC.  At least one of those two anyway.