Subject: Re: last go before giving up
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/18/2000 13:49:48
On Sun, 16 Jul 2000, Henry B. Hotz wrote:

> At 12:21 AM -0400 7/17/00, charlie allom wrote:
>
> >i read somewhere that for OF 2.0.1 i should be using 'alias:partition' and
> >skip the file name (ofwboot.xcf)
>
> This is true if you have used the installboot program to wipe out the
> Apple partition map on the drive and install the bootxx program.
> This process doesn't work on new Mac's where a partition of 0 means
> the first understandable filesystem partition.  On older Mac's (like
> the 3400 I presume) partition 0 means load the boot blocks.

That's not what I understood. AFAIK the meaning of partition 0 hasn't
changed - the system will still boot off of a bootable (driver) partition.
The problem as I understood it was that the definition of a bootable
driver partition changed, and that our bootable driver partition doesn't
fit the new paradime,

Take care,

Bill