Subject: Re: Booting, next round ;-)
To: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/17/2000 16:42:04
On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 10:13:29PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> Hmm, nearly don't dare to bring this topic up again: I can't boot NetBSD on
> my mac 4400/200. It has OF 2.0.2 and internal IDE disk and atapi CD.

Heh. Don't be frightened of the list. Be frightened of OpenFirmware.

;^>

> I would prefer to boot this machine over the network (I have other NetBSD
> machines which could serve it), best case would be pressing "N" when turning
> it on to netboot NetBSD and doing nothing to drop into MacOS.

Probably can't use N, but you should be able to netboot out of OF
without too much trouble (well, after the initial set up headache).

> But I would take any method that gets NetBSD up at all.

I've got a contract for you to sign. Got some blood?

Just kidding.

> What I tried was: put the boot.fs from the latest snapshot onto a disk and
> boot that via
>
>   boot fd:0
>
> This resulted in the "CLAIM failed" error described in the FAQ; trying it
> again did not help. Then I created a DOS floppy with ofwboot.xcf, ofwboot.elf
> and netbsd.gz on it. And tried
>
>   boot fd:1,ofwboot.xcf
>
> This successfully loaded ofwboot, which tried to read "netbsd" and failed
> (obviously, it wouldn't fit on the disk). So at the "Boot:" prompt I entered

Don't pretty well thus far.

>   Boot: netbsd.gz
>
> but that didn't work too:
>
> /netbsd.gz: File not found
> /fd/netbsd.gz: File not found.
>
> I tried any combination of path names I could dream of and none worked.

Well, yeah, if it's not there, it's not there.

Your problems start here. Though the floppy is conveniently aliased as
fd, your hard drive and cd are *not* so convenient.

Do a devalias from the ok > prompt and, failing that, try dev / ls and
digging.

My drives are under scsi-int/ (an alias itself, incidentally), YMMV.

> So I tried booting from internal hard disk by putting ofwboot.xcf and
> netbsd on the root of my hard disk. Tried to boot that via
>
>   boot hd:ofwboot.xcf
>
> which resulted in the machine booting to MacOS.

That's because OF doesn't know what to do with anything beyond hd:, so
it ignores it all and goes with the default boot command. Same for the
cd:... business.

> I created my own CD, same result. I tried other names for the CD, like:
>
>   boot ata/atapi-disk@0:0,ofwboot.xcf
>
> which was answered with:
>
>   bad partition number, using 0 no bootable HFS partition

You're on the right track now. Not too sure, but your syntax looks bad
to load a file there. I'm not sure if, in your OF, partition number of 0
still means "load boot blocks" or "load first bootable partition", but
it looks like the latter. Not that that particularly helps. Try making
that CD an hfs partition with ofwboot.xcf and netbsd-INSTALL (renamed
netbsd, of course) at the root level.

Reading the archives from the past month
(http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2000/07/) and maybe June as
well should help you out some. I'd dig myself, but I'm kind of busy.

(Btw, can anyone get openssl 0.9.5+ to build? pkgsrc doesn't seem to
like my macppcs...)

> Last try was network:
>
>   boot enet
>
> didn't do anything (the DHCP server did not see any query).

Well, you'll need bootp before dhcp will do much good. Probably tftp
would be good too. Check the diskless HOW-TO
(http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/), though I'm
not sure how up to date it is. (The basic mechanics should be there,
at least.)

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net