Subject: Re: Booting, next round ;-)
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/17/2000 23:04:19
Thanks for your hints, I'll have to dig through the OF docs at apple and
see if I can make any sense of this filename syntax game...

> Well, you'll need bootp before dhcp will do much good. Probably tftp
> would be good too. Check the diskless HOW-TO
> (http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/), though I'm
> not sure how up to date it is. (The basic mechanics should be there,
> at least.)

Well, I'm netbooting other machines, so I think I'll manage that part. But
the FAQ is not quite clear: on one place it says "all machines support
netbooting", in some other place it says "Older machines don't".
Maybe it's just refering to the "N" key and I misunderstood it. I didn't
see anything looking like an ethernet card in dev / ls, but it worked from
MacOS (so I know it's there).

I'm confused by the dhcpd vs. bootp thing: IMHO dhcp is just the modern
version of bootp and dhcpd will answer bootp queries too. I'll do a tcpdump
and check, maybe the easy way is just a step away...

Martin