Subject: Re: last go before giving up
To: None <charlie@rubberduck.com, port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/17/2000 13:34:54
At 4:15 AM -0400 7/17/00, charlie allom wrote:
>i think i might have the right way of entering the boot device, but maybe
>i have the wrong .xcf file ..
>
>would anyone be so kind as to tarzip the files from boot.fs for me?

Actually the stuff is already available.  Look in
<ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/macppc/snapshot/20000620-1.5/ins=20
tallation/>
There are only three files in the floppy image:  bootxx, which is=20
useless, ofwboot.xcf, which is in that directory, and netbsd, called=20
netbsd.ram.gz in that directory.  The last is a compressed kernel=20
which includes a built-in memory disk that includes the installboot=20
program.

Bootxx is only useful if installed directly on the target disk by=20
that program.  I suspect that any other files you might want from the=20
floppy image are actually inside that memory disk image inside the=20
kernel.  If you actually need them then it would be easier to extract=20
them from the main distribution tarballs.

Most likely what you want is a way to load ofwboot.xcf so it can load=20
netbsd.ram.gz.  If you have a way to do that then you hopefully can=20
use a similar method to have ofwboot.xcf load the real /netbsd kernel=20
on your real target installation.

=46easibility of a new signature is currently being evaluated.