Subject: Re: IDE controller and router
To: Jojo <info@thrill-inc.com>
From: John Klos <john@klos.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/16/2000 04:08:21
> hi there,

Hello,

> oh... and there is one more question.... in order to set up the machine as a
> router for my cable service to connect my other 2 macs to the internet, do i
> need a second network card?
> thx a lot....

Strictly speaking, you can use one ethernet, get your DHCP lease from the
cable modem, alias a non-routable network (I use 192.168.1.x) IP, and
route through that. However, that means that TCP traffic goes across the
same ethernet twice (from cable to router Mac, from router Mac to other
Macs).

However, lots of PCI ethernet cards work just fine. I put in a 3com 3c905,
and it is recognised and works without issue. The Realtek 8139 are pretty
cheap, as are other common NE-2000 PCI cards. Good luck.

John Klos