Subject: Booting on an iBook
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Dean <bsd@bsdhome.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/16/2000 19:03:49
Hi,

I'm trying to get an install going on my iBook, but am not getting
very far.  Here's what I did:

	I downloaded the macppc binary distribution for 1.4.2

	Set up my FreeBSD box to respond to my iBook's BOOTP request
	and tell it to load /tftpboot/netbsd (this kernel copied from
	binary/kernel/netbsd-GENERIC_MD)

	Reboot my iBook, holding down cmd-alt-O-F to get to open
	firmware.

	Issue 'boot enet:0'.

My iBook loads the kernel, but halts very quickly thereafter with the
following on the screen (typed in by hand):

Apple PowerBook2,1 1.3f1 BootROM built on 10/28/99 at 18:10:16
Copyright 1994-1999 Apple Computer, Inc.
All Rights Reserved

Welcom to Open Firmware.
To continue booting, type "mac-boot" and press return.
To shut down, type "shut-down" and press return.

 ok
0 > boot enet:0
CLIENT 000a2797711e 192.168.220.5
SERVER 00a024bf292f 192.168.220.2
Transfer FILE: /tftpboot/netbsd \
TFTP-actual=382244 TFTP-adler32=73e47a53 load-size=382244 adler32=73e47a53

console keyboard type: USB
Copyright (c) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000
    The NetBSD Foundation, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
    The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

NetBSD 1.4.2 (GENERIC_MD) #0: Wed Mar 15 21:53:17 PST 2000
    toddpw@leia.toddpw.net:/usr/src/sys/arch/macppc/compile/GENERIC_MD
CPU: 750 (Revision 8300)
real mem  = 167772160
avail mem = 152653824
using 800 buffers containing 3276800 bytes of memory
mainbus0 (root)
cpu0 at mainbus0
trap type 200 at 271970
Stopped in  at  0x233650:       lwz r0, r1, 0x14,
db>

Type 'trace' at the above prompt does not seem to produce useful
information:

db> trace
at ?+ffffffff
at ?+ffffffff
save LR(0x7c01204f) is invalid
db>

I also tried this by first having my iBook load ofwboot.elf first, and
then send /usr/export/ibook as the root path.  There, I had
netbsd-GENERIC_MD installed but named 'netbsd' so that it could be
found.  The result was the same trap at the same instruction.

Additionally, I followed the procedures outlined at:

	 http://www.enchantedlearning.com/tech/netbsd_imac.shtml

which was linked to from the ppc FAQ (netbooting page) for setting up
an iMac to net-boot (ok an iBook is not an iMac, but it doesn't appear
to be too iMac specific).  In this case, I extraced the full
distribution under the NFS export area, created the /dev area and so
on.  In the end, the result was the same trap at the same instruction.

I saw on the macppc model support page that the iBook is supported
excepting that the built-in keyboard is not yet (as described by this
link: http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/models.html).  So, I tried
booting with my iMac keyboard plugged in, but, not too surprisingly,
got the same result.

I'm hoping I'm just doing something dumb and the correct procedure for
installing onto an iBook is well-known.  I'd really love to run NetBSD
on my iBook.  Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-Brian
--
Brian Dean					bsd@bsdhome.com