Subject: Re: IDE controller?
To: Jojo , <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/16/2000 21:12:06
At 12:13 AM -0700 7/16/00, Jojo wrote:
>i am running NetBSD 1.4.2 on a Power Computing PowerTowerPro and i was
>wondering if there is a possibility to add an IDE controller so i can make
>use of these really cheap big IDE drives out there? if you have any info on
>which controller does the trick i would be greatful.

No particular information.

If the card is supported on the PC port you have a chance.  In order
to boot through the card it needs Open Firmware support which is
unlikely, but possible if the card is sold for use on Mac's.

>oh... and there is one more question.... in order to set up the machine as a
>router for my cable service to connect my other 2 macs to the internet, do i
>need a second network card?
>thx a lot....

I presume you have found the IPFilter HowTo.

No it's not necessary, but if you don't have a second card then every
packet travels the wire twice.  That seems inelegant and could be a
performance problem if you have a faster than standard line.
Shouldn't be a problem for a basic DSL line.