Subject: Re: Compiled reply.
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: William O Ferry <woferry@iname.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/15/2000 13:15:00
> > > Subject: Re: Any docs on NetBSD on B&W G3's?
> > > From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
> > > Date: 02/07/2000 15:03:39
> > >
> > > One drawback is that OF puts the 646 pciide controller in a polling mode
> > > our firmware initialization doesn't reset, so while you can boot from an
> > > ide disk, you then can't use it.
> >
> > As I recall, that means you can either boot from it *or* use it as
> > your root, but not both.
>
> Exactly. However supposedly Manuel Bouyer recently fixed this problem. It
> was that the 646 had two interrupt modes, compat and native. We didn't
> support native, so if the firmware put the chip in it, we lost. But
> someone should try it, it now might be fixed. Unfortunatly I don't still
> have a G3. :-(

	I had the same impression, and figured I'd try the latest code.  SUP
currently only provides a pciide.c based on 1.78 (1.79 claimed to add
native-mode support).  But the patches to 1.79 were really easy so I
applied them to my sources and rebuilt the kernel.  Unfortunately
nothing changed on my Blue&White, if I run ofwboot.elf or load the
kernel off the internal HD I get the same old lost interrupt messages.

	Oh, well.  Back to zip booting..  =)
                                                 Will Ferry