Subject: Re: Boot Troubles on 9500/180MP
To: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu, port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/14/2000 16:45:31
At 2:41 PM -0700 7/14/00, Kevan Olhausen wrote:
>I'm having a problem booting into NetBSD after the installation. I get
>to the last screen shown here and i select (d) to reboot.

>After I reboot nothing happens. I have a couple of questions. 1) do I
>need to go into the shell after this installation screen and configure
>something? 2) what "exactly" should I enter into BootVariables to have
>my computer boot from the internal SCSI disk ID (1) on the internal SCSI
>bus (0)? 3) I have a 9500/180 with an ATImach64 video card but how do I
>specify that to be my video out? Nothing seems to stick, it always gets
>reset.

I note your listing seems to suggest some scsi problems I don't understand.

1) Probably.  I note that it seemed to take forever after I chose the
reboot menu option before anything happened.

2) boot-device  scsi-int/sd@1:0
    boot-file    netbsd
    auto-boot?   true	(variable name from memory)
    boot-command boot

3) System Disk under MacOS should figure it out.  If not then inside
OF do a 'dev / ls' and look carefully for the big long pathname of
your card (underneath bandit somewhere).  Then setenv the output to
the whole long name.  All this stuff gets reset whenever you boot
MacOS, but as long as you stay inside OF and NetBSD it should stick.