Subject: Re: Kernel and ramdisk for install
To: Mohan Khurana , John Klos <john@klos.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/13/2000 13:38:05
At 7:42 AM -0400 7/11/00, Mohan Khurana wrote:
>will load netbsd.ram after the ofwboot.elf file is loaded.  I'm still a
>little unclear about what ofwboot.xcf does...  any idea?

ofwboot is a bootstrap loader which (unlike OF) understands gzipped
&/or elf kernels and ffs filesystems.  Frequently it's loaded by
bootxx which knows nothing about anything except raw OF sector IO,
and has the sectors of ofwboot hard-coded into it by installboot.
Alternately the ofwboot.xcf version of ofwboot can be loaded directly
by OF versions that understand xcoff from a filesystem type that OF
understands and it will then load the elf kernel from the ffs root
filesystem.

Different versions of OF understand different degrees of what we'd
like to use.  We want to have a /netbsd file in a netbsd-native
filesystem type.  We have lots of tools to get there from lots of
starting points, but it really hasn't settled out yet and is pretty
confusing.