Subject: Missing install kernel, missing information
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: John Klos <john@klos.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/12/2000 22:43:18
Hello, all,

I have noticed some areas where there is no information about this install
procedure in the documentation.

Supposing I do have a floppy drive, how do I make a bootable floppy? I
assume I go to:
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.4.2/macppc/installation/floppy/
and get boot.fs, and write it using dd to a floppy disk.

However, this is not mentioned in the docs at all! Don't believe me? Go
find it... it's not there.

What exactly is in the boot.fs? I assumed it had a kernel with a miniroot
in it. If this is so, who created it? Where did it come from? How do I get
a kernel that runs the miniroot install?

What kernel is what? There's
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.4.2/macppc/binary/kernel/netbsd-GENERIC_MD.gz,
and there's
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.4.2/macppc/binary/sets/kern.tgz,
but I cannot find any information in the documentation about what the
differences are.

The netbsd-GENERIC_MD.gz is much bigger, so I assumed that this has the
miniroot filesystem grafted onto it. But when I boot from it, I get stuck
at "root on md0a".

Are there options that can be added to ofwboot.elf to tell the kernel to
prompt for the root device, like NetBSD-Amiga does? Is there documentation
for ofwboot.elf? loadbsd on Amiga has lots of options that get passed
along to the kernel.

It seems that there are lots of people who need to get past this point,
but the people who have gotten past this point are not talking... Come on,
help out!

Thanks,
John Klos