Subject: Re: Kernel and ramdisk for install
To: Mohan Khurana <mkhurana@andrew.cmu.edu>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/12/2000 18:37:48
Mohan Khurana wrote:

>>From what I understand, the ofwboot* files just get the netbsd kernel file
>loaded.  As to which netbsd kernel file it loads, it was said by Henry
>Hotz that:
>
>'setenv boot-device cd:' and 'setenv boot-file netbsd.ram'
>
>will load netbsd.ram after the ofwboot.elf file is loaded.  I'm still a
>little unclear about what ofwboot.xcf does...  any idea?

The Blue&White G3 seems to come in a few different flavors which may
explain some of the problems with booting.  I ran some tests on mine and
here are the results.  Perhaps someone can fill in the blanks and help
get us a bit further down the road.

The CD I created has ofwboot.elf, ofwboot.xcf and an Installatnion Kernel
(netbsd) all placed at the root level. The CD was created in ISO9660
format with HFS Partitions using mkhybrid (-hfs -part).  It mounts fine
under NetBSD and MacOS and the files are all there as I expected.

Booting into OpenFirmWare (Command-Option-O-F) I see I'm running
OpenFirmWare 3.1.1.

At the OF prompt I entered "boot cd:ofwboot.elf" and the system responds
with a banner indicating that it is loading ELF, then displays
"NetBSD/macppc OpenFirmWare Boot, Revision 1.1.  This is the March 15,
2000 version.  Soon afterwards it complains that it can't open the file
"netbsd". The exact error is: open
/pci/@d/mac-io/ata-3@20000/disk@0/netbsd: no such file or directory.
Then I see a "Boot:" prompt.  No idea what I need to enter at this point.

I reboot into OpenFirmWare and entered "boot cd:ofwboot.xcf" and the
system responds with a banner indicating that it is loaded XCOFF, then
displays "NetBSD/macppc OpenFirmWare Boot, Revision 1.2.  This is the Feb
6, 2000 version (note the date and verision ID mismatch). Soon afterwards
it complains about not being able to find the file "netbsd". The exact
error is: open /pci/@d/mac-io/ata-3@20000/disk@0:0/netbsd: no such file
or directory. Once again I see the "Boot:" prompt and still have no idea
what I need to enter.

Reboot a third time into OpenFirmWare and entered "boot cd:netbsd" and
the system responds by loading the NetBSD Installation Kernel from CD!
However when it gets to the point where it reports "root on md0a" the
system is hung.  No idea how to get past this.

One thing I have noticed is that the CD must be in the tray before
starting the Boot process or I get some really strange errors.

In OpenFirmWare I did a "dev-alias" and noticed that the CD is reported
on the same path as noted in the error messages above.

Are there any more tests I can run?  Can someone help fill in the blanks
here?  What are the options one can use at the "Boot:" prompt?  Any idea
why the file "netbsd" is found by the boot code but can't be found by
either of the boot loaders?

thanks,
-bob