Subject: Re: Newbie Question
To: Michael Jeffrey Tucker <mtucker@fas.harvard.edu>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/11/2000 16:18:13
On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 02:55:57PM -0400, Michael Jeffrey Tucker wrote:
>   It turns out that when I first ran the installer I was missing one of
> the X packages. I don't know why that stopped it from building devices,
> but I reinstalled the whole system with xbase included and it came up
> fine.

Actually, I just had a similar problem installing on an i386 laptop
(and am profoundly more screwed by it there, but that's another
story). This is *definitely* a problem in sysinst. If you tell it to
install a package that you don't have the .tgz for, it will happily
continue the installation... of the packages. Nothing else. It will
not run MAKEDEV, it will not create and fstab on the new disk, nada.

I'll write up a PR, maybe, but it's not an easy thing to decide on and
deserves discussion, first. (Question to the list... where?)

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net