Subject: Booting after installation on a 7600 followup
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Jim Ferr <ferr@apple.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/11/2000 13:16:44
I posted a the "how do I boot after install" message and the most helpful
reply (from Gabriel Rosenkoetter) was to refer to a rather opaque section
of the FAQ:

>http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/faq.html#boot-disk

Okay, so now I'm trying to follow this section without much success. I
booted from the install floppy and selected the S)hell option. Then I
mounted /dev/sd0a on /mnt and entered the two commands the FAQ refers to
as they are:

>So if you have booted off floppy or network, and have the filesystem (say
>it's sd0) mounted on /mnt, you would do:
>

>	cp /usr/mdec/ofwboot /mnt/boot
>	/usr/mdec/installboot /mnt/boot /usr/mdec/bootxx /dev/rsd0a

Now that is the end of that bullet-point in the FAQ. Do I need to
continue on to the next one or am I done? I thought okay, maybe I'm done.
I then attempted to exit the shell unsuccessfully and after rebooting it
still doesn't boot from the hard drive, so I rebooted from the install
floppy (again) and when I tried the same mount command, it complains the
file system on /dev/sd0a is not clean. (Argh!)

So now I'm trying 'fsck -y /dev/sd0a' and fsck refuses to work without
fstab and I don't know what parameter to pass fsck to ignore fstab...
That's my new problem. If need be I can erase this mess and reinstall but
the question still stands, are there step-by-step instructions a new user
can follow to get past this point? My OF is 1.1 according to its splash
screen.

Cheers...

--
Jim Ferr, Support Analyst, Apple Canada