Subject: Re: booting after installation on 7600?
To: John Klos <john@klos.com>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/11/2000 12:27:09
On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 12:18:17PM -0400, John Klos wrote:
> As I'm still waiting for more information to make my install possible, I
> can only guess based upon my experience with NetBSD-Amiga.
>
> After your install, you probably need to run System Disk again (bootable
> Zip, perhaps?) or do the command line Open Firmware thing. But remember
> you're now booting your kernel from whatever partiton you installed it to,
> so you may need to change the partition number.

Nope, though I guess running system disk periodically is cool if
you're actually changing things (and changing them correctly). Running
it to install the same damn thing won't have any effect (well, unless
you've zapped your paramenter RAM between then and now).

> Actually, I don't know if reading so much documentation has made me
> stir crazy, but I can't remember ever seeing anything about (1) booting
> after install, or (2) any implication that any Mac or Open Firmware stuff
> recognises NetBSD partitions.

It's in the FAQ, as I just emailed the list. It's necessary to run
installboot to make the disk bootable in the case of the guy asking
about a 7600. Yes, sysinst should maybe do this for you, but, since
it's not the same routine on different versions of OF, things will
probably stay as they are. (For instance, your machine, a B&W G3 if
memory serves, will have to load ofwboot.elf from a floppy, CD, or
HFS(+) partition.)

> A clarification is in order. Can Open Firmware boot from a NetBSD disk
> (partition)? Or is everyone booting their kernel from a floppy or CD?

Certainly, once there's some kind of bootstrap code in memory (my
machine is a 7500, so I get this off the drive):

NetBSD 1.4R (URIEL) #1: Fri Mar  3 16:01:27 EST 2000

gr@uriel.eclipsed.net:/usr/src/syssrc/sys/arch/macppc/compile/URIEL
CPU: 750 (Revision 202)
total memory = 288 MB
avail memory = 270 MB
using 1024 buffers containing 4096 KB of memory
mainbus0 (root)
cpu0 at mainbus0
[...]
scsibus1: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
sd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0: <QUANTUM, FIREBALL_TM2110S, 300X> SCSI2 0/direct fixed
sd0: 2014 MB, 6810 cyl, 4 head, 151 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 4124736 sectors
sd1 at scsibus0 targ 1 lun 0: <QUANTUM, FIREBALL SE6.4S, PJ0A> SCSI2 0/direct fixed
sd1: 6149 MB, 7637 cyl, 6 head, 274 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 12594960 sectors
cd0 at scsibus0 targ 3 lun 0: <MATSHITA, CD-ROM CR-8024, 2.0f> SCSI2 5/cdrom removable
boot device: sd1
root on sd1a dumps on sd1b
sd1: NetBSD disklabel
sd1: NetBSD disklabel