Subject: Re: booting after installation on 7600?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: John Klos <john@klos.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/11/2000 12:18:17
> >- NetBSD will now boot.
>
> I'm hung up on the phrase "NetBSD will now boot". Sorry, but is doesn't
> boot. I get the hard drive with question mark icon on the screen.
> Needless to say this is rather annoying after getting this far. I posted
> two similar requests for help to this list in the past couple of weeks
> but so far no one has replied. Anyone?

As I'm still waiting for more information to make my install possible, I
can only guess based upon my experience with NetBSD-Amiga.

After your install, you probably need to run System Disk again (bootable
Zip, perhaps?) or do the command line Open Firmware thing. But remember
you're now booting your kernel from whatever partiton you installed it to,
so you may need to change the partition number.

Actually, I don't know if reading so much documentation has made me
stir crazy, but I can't remember ever seeing anything about (1) booting
after install, or (2) any implication that any Mac or Open Firmware stuff
recognises NetBSD partitions.

A clarification is in order. Can Open Firmware boot from a NetBSD disk
(partition)? Or is everyone booting their kernel from a floppy or CD?

Thanks,
John Klos