Subject: Re: Booting on Mac G3 - How?
To: Mohan Khurana <mkhurana@andrew.cmu.edu>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/10/2000 18:14:04
At 12:29 PM -0400 7/9/00, Mohan Khurana wrote:
>I can burn a CD, however my only way to burn the CD is from a Mac that has
>Toast installed on it.  Can I simply burn whatever is at
>ftp://ftp.NetBSD.ORG/pub/NetBSD/arch/macppc/snapshot/20000620-1.5/ins=20
>tallation/,
>making sure that I just burn it as HFS, and then boot with
>"boot cd:,ofwboot.elf"?  Is the disk that NetBSD/maccppc boots from
>special on some way?  or is it just an HFS disk with the install files?

I think this should work with some caviats.  First check the FAQ to=20
see if your version of OF supports booting like that.

Now you need to set some OF variables to make it all work completely.=20
I suggest you put ofwboot.elf (you don't need ofwboot.xcf?) at the=20
top level of your CD filesystem.  Also put the netbsd kernel with the=20
built-in RAM filesystem at the top level.  Now, for your proposal=20
'setenv boot-device cd:' and 'setenv boot-file netbsd.ram' (or=20
whatever it's called on your disk).  ofwboot reads those variables to=20
decide what to load next.  Alternatively you can set one of them to=20
-a (for ask) and it will read from the command line so you can=20
experiment.

I haven't actually gotten any of this to work on an OF 1.0.5 machine=20
yet so I'm speaking from a theoretical understanding of the source=20
code and the FAQ.

=46easibility of a new signature is currently being evaluated.