Subject: Re: Which kernel? Where does the ramdisk come from?
To: Bob Nestor , <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/10/2000 17:18:59
At 6:50 PM -0500 7/10/00, Bob Nestor wrote:
>I'd be happy to build some small test ISO image files and make them
>available for people to burn with Toast if they'd let me know how it
>works out.  The last person I did this for burned up about half my
>monthly upload quota and didn't even say thanks, let alone let me know
>how things worked out.

Erp. . . Would that be me? (What's the emoticon for embarrassment?)
No, maybe not since I actually paid for a CD that wouldn't use up
upload time, just download.  <whew>

I couldn't get macppc to boot from the CD, but I wasn't sure why.  I
think I didn't say anything because I wanted to do some more testing
to figure out why.

I know I burned a test CD with ofwboot.xcf on it in the top level and
was able to load ofwboot from it on one of my two OF 1.0.5 machines a
long time ago.  The trouble is that I have not been able to duplicate
my early success.  I'm pretty sure I did *not* set the famous
load-base variable when I got it to work b.t.w.  Also ofwboot was at
the top level, but I don't remember what Toast options I used, and I
didn't keep the test CD that worked.

As an unpaid plug let me say that Bob's CD-ROM's are worth a lot more
than the $5 that he charges for them, even if you don't ask for
custom work.  I'm currently running a PC and a IIcx off of the two
that I bought from him a long time ago.  Now if I could just find a
way to make an 8500 dual-boot without having a working ppc machine to
develop/test boot code on. . .