Subject: Bad documentation
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: John Klos <john@klos.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/10/2000 14:49:03
Hello,

I've used NetBSD on my Amiga since December, and I am extremely pleased
with the stability and performance. I've only restarted it twice, and
that was because I was moving it. This machine has become my primary
server because of my satisfaction with NetBSD.

I would like to try NetBSD on a blue and white Mac G3. However, the
documentation sucks. I fully intend to help fix this, but as it stands,
there are lots of things that are explained poorly, things I cannot find
documentation for, and things that don't make sense.

I don't have a floppy drive. But there is no mention of what format a CD
needs to be in in order to be able to boot off of it. Nor is there a set
of files that can be placed on a CD to make an easy install. The kernel,
for instance, is gzipped, but the ofwboot.elf tries to load an ungzipped
file. This might be trivial to people who already use some Unix or
another, but it is painful to others.

Via FTP, I found the 1.5 ISO that someone kindly uploaded. That's nice,
but it doesn't support something as crucial as my IDE interface / drive.

So where is a directory tree that I can grab, along with a paragraph
saying "the ofwboot.elf program can load the kernel from an HFS (or
ISO-9660) cd". Make sure it has/doesn't have Mac extensions, MS-DOS names,
Mac names..." (You get the idea). "You can/cannot use Toast to make this
cd"...

Essentially, this is a no-brainer to anyone who's done the process, but
I've already spent hours and several burned CDs, and the documentation
isn't helping at all.

So help me figure this out, and I'll help make some decent documentation
for beginners (or people new to this port).

Thanks,
John Klos