Subject: Booting on Mac G3 - How?
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mohan Khurana <mkhurana@andrew.cmu.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/09/2000 12:29:45
I have skimmed through the install notes and the FAQ and it looks like
there are many many alternative ways of installing NetBSD on a macppc
system, including booting from CD, booting from floppy, from network.

I have access to a Mac G3 and I would like to use to install NetBSD, which
I've never done before on ANY architecture.  I have available systems
running linux and FreeBSD.  The Mac G3 doesn't have a floppy, so I can't
simply dd what's at
ftp://ftp.NetBSD.ORG/pub/NetBSD/arch/macppc/snapshot/20000620-1.5/installation/boot.fs
to a floppy and then boot with "boot fd:0" at the OFW prompt.

The mac G3 does have a zip disk, but I don't see any information in the
FAQ for doing something like this and I think I might have heard something
on this mailing list about how it is broken.

I can burn a CD, however my only way to burn the CD is from a Mac that has
Toast installed on it.  Can I simply burn whatever is at
ftp://ftp.NetBSD.ORG/pub/NetBSD/arch/macppc/snapshot/20000620-1.5/installation/,
making sure that I just burn it as HFS, and then boot with
"boot cd:,ofwboot.elf"?  Is the disk that NetBSD/maccppc boots from
special on some way?  or is it just an HFS disk with the install files?

Just from looking at the docs, this install seems incredibly complex, I
guess FreeBSD, Solaris, and Linux have all spoiled me, please help?

mohan